6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
1/4 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 slices of deli ham
3 slices aged Swiss cheese, halved
1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup 2% milk
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup finely shredded Swiss cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees; arrange chicken in a greased 13x9 in. baking dish.
- Top each with 1 slice deli ham and 1/2 slice cheese, folding ham in half and covering chicken as much as possible.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Carefully spritz the bread crumbs with cooking spray, keeping the crumbs in place. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and a thermometer insert in chicken reads 165 degrees.
- For the sauce in a small saucepan, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook or stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce to medium heat. Stir in the wine and Swiss cheese and stir 2-3 minutes or until cheese is thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt and pepper. Keep warm over low heat untill ready to serve.
- Serve with chicken.
Recipe by Ronda Eagle, Goose Creek, SC